John is a renowned trial attorney with three decades of experience in intellectual property and complex business cases, having tried more than 30 jury and bench trials in jurisdictions throughout the country, as well as at the ITC and in several arbitrations. John tries cases in a wide range of technologies, including computer hardware and software, telecommunications, aerospace technology, industrial equipment and processes, medical devices and biotechnology. He has litigated patent, trade secret, licensing, copyright and trademark/trade dress disputes.
John is well-known throughout the U.S. as a formidable talent in the court room. He is a trusted advisor to clients from Fortune 100 to start-up companies.
Additionally, John has argued appeals before numerous appellate courts, including the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals, the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals, the Georgia Supreme Court, the Florida Supreme Court, and the Georgia Court of Appeals.
John’s notable cases include:
- Defeating an infringement claim concerning mechanical patents at the ITC, with the Commission affirming the ALJ’s non-infringement finding.
- Defending a Fortune 100 aerospace and defense contracting company in a major trial alleging infringement of patents concerning aircraft cockpit display technology.
- Representing a national supplemental health insurance company claiming infringement of its copyrights in its supplemental health policies; case settled on favorable terms after a preliminary injunction was obtained enforcing the copyrights.
- Defending higher education institutions in a claim by several academic publishers that a university’s electronic reserve system caused or facilitated infringement.
- Representing a medical device manufacturer seeking injunctive relief against founders of the business who set up a competing business overseas, resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Representing a medical device manufacturer in a case that resolved the tension between Georgia’s open records and trade secret statutes, which resulted in amicus curiae briefs by Georgia’s biotechnology and biomedical associations and a favorable ruling by the Georgia Supreme Court.
- Representing the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences in successfully enjoining infringement of the Academy’s trademark in OSCAR™ and the Academy’s copyrights in the “Oscar”© statuette awarded for excellence in film-making.
- Representing a medical device manufacturer in evaluating and enforcing its portfolio of trademark rights nationally.
Click here for additional representative matters.
Affiliations and Memberships
- American Bar Association, Patent, Trademark & Copyright Section
- State Bar and Atlanta Bar Intellectual Property Sections, founding board member of Atlanta Bar’s IP Section
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- American Arbitration Association, Panel of Commercial and Intellectual Property Arbitrators
- Atlanta Bar Association, prior board member and past Chair of Litigation Section Board
- Atlanta Volunteer Lawyers Foundation, Past President, Board of Directors
Honors and Awards
- Ranked by Best Lawyers in Patent Litigation, Copyright Law, IP Litigation and Patent Law
- Named Georgia Super Lawyer, Atlanta Magazine
- Named Georgia Legal Elite in Business Litigation and Intellectual Property Litigation, Georgia Trend Magazine
- Named as a top business litigator in the nation by Super Lawyers
- Co-author with Suzanne Smith Williams, “What’s the Fuss? Patent Litigation and Reform Efforts Today,” The Atlanta Lawyer, (March 2009)
- Panel speaker, State Bar of Georgia 2014 Corporate Counsel Institute, "Patent and Troll Update for 2014," December 11, 2014.
- Speaker, AIPLA Corporate Counsel Committee webinar, “International Trade Secret Protection,” March 2014.
- Speaker, SEMDA Conference, “IP Issues Facing Medical Device Companies,” March 2012.
- Speaker, AIPLA’s Spring Meeting, “Copyright in the Quiver of Unfair Competition Claims,” March 2009.
- Panel moderator, 15th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, Dominican Republic, November 2009.
- Panel moderator, Damages Issues in IP, Atlanta Bar IP Section’s May 2009 Springposium.
- Speaker, 14th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, Mexico, presentation on trade secret issues, November 2008.
- Panelist, “IP Issues in Employment,” Georgia State Bar’s 18th Annual Labor and Employment Law Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, December 2008.
- Speaker, 13th Annual Intellectual Property Law Institute, Puerto Rico, presentation on patent reform efforts, November 2007.
- King & Spalding
- Powell, Goldstein, Frazier & Murphy