Shirlene has expertise in the areas of chemistry, pharmaceuticals, polymer science, materials science and nanotechnology. She advises clients on patent applications in these dynamic fields.
Shirlene spent a year and a half as a research scientist at a pharmaceutical company developing small molecules that were later synthesized as potential inhibitors of the Hepatitis C virus.
While at Georgia State University, she worked on investigating the molecular mechanisms that guide the binding of small molecules to DNA. Additionally while at Georgia State University, Shirlene served as an intern in the Emory Office of Technology Transfer where she evaluated the marketability and patentability of early stage life science inventions, including therapeutics, drug delivery systems, medical devices and diagnostics. She also served as a liaison between Georgia State University and the Emerging Leaders Network of GeorgiaBio.
Shirlene previously worked as a Scientific Advisor in private practice with an Intellectual Property firm where she reviewed invention disclosures, conducted prior art searches, and drafted patent applications directed to biotechnologies and pharmaceuticals.
- "Supreme Court Articulates Standard for Awarding Attorney's Fees in Copyright Litigation," June 29, 2016.
- Jackson Beckford, S., Dixon, D.W. (2012). Molecular dynamics of anthraquinone intercalators with polyethylene glycol side chains, Journal of Biomolecular Structure & Dynamics, 29, 1065-1080.
- Dixon, D.W., Jackson Beckford, S. (2011). Effects of increasing chain length of anthraquinone intercalators on DNA binding, Abstracts of Papers of the American Chemical Society, 241, 68-BIOL.
- Jackson Beckford, S., Dixon, D.W., Effects of increasing chain length of anthraquinone intercalators on binding to DNA, Manuscript in preparation, intended submission to Biochemistry.
- Jackson Beckford, S., Dixon, D.W., Determination of the binding mechanism of anthraquinone intercalators to DNA, Submitted to Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry.
- Jackson Beckford, S. and Dixon, D.W. Configurational entropy change of anthraquinones binding to DNA, February 16-17, 2012, 20th Annual Suddath Symposium, Atlanta, GA.
- Dixon, D.W. and Jackson Beckford, S. Effect of increasing side chain length of anthraquinone intercalators on DNA binding, March 27-31, 2011, 241st ACS National Meeting, Anaheim, CA.
- Jackson Beckford, S. and Dixon, D.W. Investigation of the effect of increasing side chain length of anthraquinone intercalators on binding to DNA, September 27, 2011, 10th Annual Georgia Life Sciences Summit, Atlanta, GA.
- Jackson Beckford, S. and Dixon, D.W. Investigation of the interactions, geometry, hydration and conformational changes of a homologous series of anthraquinone intercalators bearing ethylene glycol side chains binding to DNA, April 27, 2011, Emerson Center Lectureship Award Symposium, Atlanta, GA.
- Jackson Beckford, S. and Dixon, D.W. Structures, dynamics and hydration of a series of anthraquinone-DNA complexes determined by molecular dynamics simulation, December 3, 2010, Eighth Annual Biotechnology Symposium at Georgia State university, Atlanta, GA.
- Dixon, D.W. and Jackson Beckford, S. Anthraquinone-DNA binding: Influence of side chain length on DNA affinity, August 16-20, 2009, 238th National American Chemical Society Meeting, Washington, DC.
- Jackson Beckford, S. and Dixon, D.W. Intercalator-DNA binding: A new look at entropy, February 21, 2009, Georgia State Poster Day 2009, Atlanta, GA.