Tony is an accomplished intellectual property trial lawyer with more than 50 years of experience litigating patent, trademark and copyright cases across the United States, including an appearance before the United States Supreme Court. He has represented clients in federal district courts and before the United States International Trade Commission in unfair trade remedy actions brought under Section 337 of the Tariff Act of 1930.
He is widely regarded as the “dean” of the patent bar in Atlanta. Tony has handled cases covering a broad array of technical subject matters, including biology, chemistry, electrical engineering and mechanical engineering, and has extensive experience litigating pharmaceutical cases as well.
Tony has been ranked by Chambers USA in the 1st Tier for Patent Litigation in Georgia for more than 10 years. He has been listed as one of the Best Lawyers in America for the past 15 years; is repeatedly named as a Georgia Super Lawyer by Atlanta Magazine; and listed among the Top 100 lawyers in the state of Georgia for 2006-2008, 2010, 2011 and 2013 – 2016 by Atlanta Magazine.
Since 1983, Tony has served as the Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Georgia for intellectual property matters. He serves on the Board of Governors of the State Bar and is a member of the State Bar Disciplinary Board. He is a member of the University of Georgia Law School’s Advisory Board for the Journal of Intellectual Property Law and was the co-editor of the Wiley Intellectual Property Law Update for more than 5 years. He served as an adjunct professor at Emory Law School for than 20 years, teaching courses in Intellectual Property Law and Intellectual Property Litigation.
In 1968, Tony co-founded the IP boutique that became Jones & Askew, which grew to over 50 lawyers before it was acquired by Kilpatrick Stockton in 2000. Before founding Jones & Askew, he was a patent attorney for Eastman Kodak Company.
Vanderbilt University, B.A., Chemistry
Emory University, LL.B.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- King & Spalding LLP
- Kilpatrick Stockton
- Jones & Thomas; Jones, Thomas & Askew; Jones & Askew; Jones, Askew & Lunsford; Jones & Askew
- Eastman Kodak Company – Patent Attorney
- Newton, Hopkins, Jones & Ormsby
Publications & Presentations
Co-Editor, Wiley Intellectual Property Law Update, 1996-2000
Co-Author, “Patents Fuel The Fire of Genius”, Industrial Hygiene News, 2006
Membership & Affiliations
- Special Assistant Attorney General for the State of Georgia for Intellectual Property Matters (1983 to present)
- Member, Board of Governors of the State Bar of Georgia
- Member, State Bar Disciplinary Board
- Member, State Bar Disciplinary Rules Committee
- Advisory Board, Journal of Intellectual Property Law, University of Georgia Law School (1992 to present)
- Adjunct Faculty, Emory University Law School (1987 to 2012)
- Member, State Bar Formal Advisory Opinion Board (1993-98)
- Faculty, National Institute of Trial Advocacy, Emory University Law School (1986-90)
- Member, Editorial Board of the Trademark Reporter, U.S. Trademark Association (1973-1977)
- Chairman of the Patent, Trademark and Copyright Law Section of the State Bar of Georgia (1975-76)