Paul is a patent attorney with broad technical experience across a number of industries, including clean and renewable energy, technology, consumer products, and medical instruments. His legal practice focuses on preparing and prosecuting domestic and international patent applications for a broad set of technologies in the areas of electrical engineering, computer science, and medical devices.
Paul also counsels companies ranging from start-ups to large multi-national corporations and academic institutions on patent portfolio management and strategies, as well as other intellectual property needs. Additionally, Paul prepares opinions on a wide variety of IP issues, such as freedom-to-operate, validity, and infringement matters, as well as counseling clients on patentability issues.
Representative technology areas of his practice span software and hardware areas including energy management systems, data analytics, cloud computing, internet-of-things platforms, software and network virtualization, speech recognition, image-and-signal processing, medical imaging systems, MEMS devices, metrology systems, networking devices, data storage, 3D printing, robotics, semiconductors, networks, switches, and thermal management systems, among others.
Paul brings over seven years of industrial research and development experience. He was an electrical engineer and project leader at General Electric – Global Research Center, where he led a research team to develop residential energy control technologies as part of GE’s SmartGrid Initiative. Paul completed GE’s Edison Engineering Development Program, rotating through four diverse technology laboratories in the technology areas of imaging and visualization, advanced controls, electric power, and sensors for non-destructive evaluation applications.
Paul recently moved to Atlanta from Boston and is admitted to practice in New York State and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and before the United States Patent & Trademark Office. Paul was recently named a Massachusetts Super Lawyer Rising Star.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Co-Chair, International Intellectual Property Law Section, Boston Bar Association
- Member, American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Chapter President, GE Asian Pacific American Forum
- Chapter President, GE Elfun Society
Publications and Presentations
- "Game Theory: A Zooming and Sliding Method for the Determination of Reasonable Royalties in Patent Damage," co-author, Samsung-Stanford Patent Remedies Paper Competition Award, 2011.
- Choate, Hall & Stewart LLP
- Sunstein Kann Murphy & Timbers LLP
- Hamilton, Brook, Smith & Reynolds, P.C.
- General Electric - Global Research Center