Advancements in technology are a key source of value in the automotive industry, with new safety and performance features in continual development across the supply chain. Meunier Carlin & Curfman has extensive experience assisting automotive suppliers, manufacturers, and researchers in protecting and defending their critical intellectual property in this competitive industry.
With educational and professional backgrounds in mechanical and electrical engineering and chemistry, MCC’s Automotive team lawyers have the ability to quickly understand our clients’ technologies and innovations. We have found that the responsive service that our clients truly value is based largely on our deep experience and commitment to solving automotive IP issues, from patent drafting and prosecution to trademarks, licensing, and litigation.
As the industry evolves with new technologies, we work on and keep abreast of new developments, including autonomous and semi-autonomous vehicles.
We work side by side with automotive industry researchers, including universities who explore technological innovations, suppliers who sponsor cutting-edge research programs, and innovators who seek to patent and license their technologies.
Automotive Technology Experience
MCC attorneys and agents have handled patent and other IP matters across a range of automotive technologies, such as:
- Steering Wheel Systems, including horn systems and steering wheel user interfaces, such as communication and tactile feedback systems (e.g., displays, switches, light bar displays, and occupant monitoring systems)
- Linear Actuators, which are used in various automotive systems, including hood lifting mechanisms and pedestrian interface systems
- Airbag systems and gas generator compositions
- Mechanical and Electronic Safety Systems, including seat belt and tensioner technologies, and latching devices
- Seat Technologies, including tactile feedback systems
- Instrument Panels and Consoles, including displays, switches, and light bar displays
- Autonomous Vehicle Control and Navigation
- Braking Systems
- Energy Storage Technologies, including fuel cells, lithium batteries, and battery separators
- Engine Systems, including superchargers, turbo chargers, and fuel catalysts
- Lubrication and Cooling Systems
- Air and Fuel Filters, including exhaust energy recovery systems
- Electric Motors
- Fuel Injectors
- Assistive Driving Devices for drivers with limited motor function
- GPS Systems
- Electronic Information Systems, including repair notifications
Overseas IP Experience and Industry Collaboration
We work with overseas law firms and corporations on the prosecution of patent applications in the automotive field. Our work on foreign matters includes coordinating efforts and dockets for foreign-based legal actions, ensuring patent prosecution consistency across jurisdictions, and serving in the guiding role in overseas patent prosecutions based on our experience drafting the original, US-based patent applications. For foreign originating matters, we work with foreign attorneys and their clients to implement their global strategy and navigate them through the USPTO. For US originating matters, we direct a network of trusted attorneys in various countries to implement global strategy for our clients.
We are members of the Southern Automotive Women’s Forum (SAWF) and the Georgia Automotive Manufacturers Association (GAMA), helping us stay abreast of developments in the automotive industry. SAWF is dedicated to the personal and professional advancement of women in the automotive industry and achieves this mission by collaborating with industry partners to create educational, mentorship, and networking opportunities for its members.