David is an experienced intellectual property attorney whose practice focuses on all aspects of litigation and counseling, with a particular emphasis on patent litigation and enforcement. Since 2013, he has been recognized as a Georgia “Rising Star” in the area of Intellectual Property Litigation by Law & Politics magazine.
David has represented companies in patent cases at the trial and appellate levels, as well as before the International Trade Commission (ITC) and Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB), concerning a wide array of technologies, including payment systems, digital data collection systems, flash memories, semiconductors, mobile devices, software technologies, telecommunication networks, high-definition projectors, packet-switched networks, call-routing technologies and advanced cleaning systems. He has also represented companies in complex contractual, trade secret and trademark matters in both state and federal courts.
David is a registered Patent Attorney. In this capacity, he also has significant experience advising companies on matters related to intellectual property procurement, licensing and management.
David’s recent representations include:
- Successful defense of a major telecommunications company in patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas concerning packet-switched networks.
- Plaintiff verdict and award of damages for a major prepaid card distributor against a competitor in the Western District of Wisconsin relating to patents for gift card methods and systems.
- Successful defense in patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas and Delaware against non-practicing entities on behalf of client and customers.
- Advantageous settlement for plaintiff in copyright case in Northern District of Georgia.
- Successful defense of a Fortune 100 electronics device manufacturer in patent litigation in the Northern District of Georgia concerning high-definition projector technology.
- Successful defense of a major prepaid card distributor in a complex arbitration concerning the activation and redemption of prepaid card products.
- Complete defense victory and finding of invalidity in the Northern District of Georgia pertaining to patents for advanced cleaning systems and fluids.
- Advantageous settlement for a major telecommunications company in patent litigation in the Eastern District of Texas concerning semiconductor technology.
- Worldwide patent portfolio management for a mobile technology company.
Georgia Institute of Technology, B.S., Electrical Engineering
Georgia State University, J.D., magna cum laude
- Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- Paul Hastings LLP
- Alston & Bird LLP
- King & Spalding LLP
Publications & Presentations
“Supreme Court IP Update,” Intellectual Property Committee CLE Presentation (2014)
“Intellectual Property Licensing: Windfalls and Pitfalls”, Georgia State University Corporate IP Institute (2011).
“Practicing Intellectual Property Law”, Georgia State University Law Day (2009).
“The Reality of Virtual Advertising: Legal Issues Abound as Technology Advances”, The Metropolitan Corporate Counsel (2006).
“The Antitrust Implications of the Bowl Championship Series”, Georgia State University Law Review (2005).
Membership & Affiliations
- Member, Atlanta Bar Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Associate Member, Atlanta IP Inn of Court
- Director of the Artemis Guild, Fernbank Museum of Natural History
- Graduate, Young Lawyers Division Leadership Academy
- Past Director, Young Lawyers Division Executive Council
- Past Director, Atlanta Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section
- Former Chair, Young Lawyers Division Intellectual Property Committee
- Member, Former Secretary, Midtown Atlanta Rotary Club
- Member, Shepherd Center Society