Trey helps clients grow and protect their intellectual property assets, with a particular focus on litigation. He counsels a wide range of clients, from entrepreneurs to large public entities, as well as multinational corporations, and strategically guides them through all stages of intellectual property litigation in federal courts throughout the country and Inter Partes Reviews (IPRs) before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB). Trey successfully litigates patent disputes for both plaintiffs and defendants, and was involved in invalidating two of only the handful of design patents ever successfully invalidated before the PTAB in an IPR.
Trey also advises and assists clients in procuring intellectual property rights, as well as licensing and enforcing those rights. He provides strategic counsel to clients on U.S. and foreign design patent protection, as well as patent prosecution in the mechanical, medical device, and engineering fields. Trey additionally counsels clients in the preparation and prosecution of trademark applications and represents clients before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, having been involved in both cancellation and opposition proceedings.
Trey currently serves on the Board of Directors for Georgia Lawyers for the Arts. Trey received his J.D., magna cum laude, from the Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, graduating third in his law school class and receiving the Scholar of Merit award for nine classes for having the highest grade in each class. While in law school, Trey served as the Managing Editor to – and his comment was published in – the Cumberland Law Review. Trey graduated, magna cum laude, from Vanderbilt University with an undergraduate degree in Civil Engineering and minors in Psychology and Engineering Management.
Vanderbilt University, B.E., Civil Engineering, magna cum laude
Samford University, J.D., magna cum laude
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Georgia
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Alabama
- King & Spalding LLP
Publications & Presentations
Honors & Awards
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch - Intellectual Property Litigation
- Dean’s Merit Scholarship
- The Cumberland Law Review
- Phi Alpha Delta Law Fraternity
- Judge Abraham Caruthers Fellow
- Tau Beta Pi National Engineering Honor Society
- Chi Epsilon National Civil Engineering Honor Society
- Vanderbilt Honor Council